Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hello Gimpo, Korea

I have finally arrived at my new home, Gimpo, Korea and to say the least and speaking less than a week in, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Upon arriving in Korea I have witnessed a country that is in the middle of modernizing itself. Infrastructure is being rebuilt, bridges, buildings, schools, roads ext.... are all under construction or have been reconstructed into beautiful architectural pieces. The atmosphere of the people is intoxicating. Between being extremely proud of who they are and what they have become, they are also very kind and thankful for the thousands of foreign teachers that are in their country helping them. I have been given free fruit, people have been patient with me and my "western ways" and my co-teachers and other fellow teachers have warmly opened their arms to me ensuring that I am comfortable, safe and able to get out of my apartment and around the city. My apartment is a studio, small but cozy, in a great building with all western teachers from all over the place. My bed is my only complaint. It is hard, I almost rather sleep on a rock! But other than that, I have no complaints.  A woman from South Africa has kindly taken me under her wing a little bit and has shown me around and she lives just across the alley. My next door neighbor is this Englishman, who off the bat was awesome. A complete type A personality and took me partying my first weekend, my kind of guy! I have met many other westerners on the street, we have ( I am just becoming familiar with it) our own little tight knit community, everybody takes care of each other, something my Mom would be pleased to hear. But as of now I must go. More once I obtain internet.

#CHEERS2KOREA

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mamma!!! I see it looks like you're in good hands!!! Can't wait to hear (read) more! ❤u! Hugs and ��!! -Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kala,

    I am considering moving to Gimpo in the next week, is there any advice you can give me? I'm a friendly Englishman too! Me and my girlfriend have tried to find information about Gimpo but it's tough!

    Kris
    ohare.kristopher@gmail.com
    Facebook:Kris O'Hare

    ReplyDelete