Monday, March 25, 2013

Meeting my match.

Somebody at my school hates me. I don't know who or what I did to them but they accomplished the sweetest revenge.

Fridays are known to be everybody's favorite day, everybody but me. I have come to loathe Fridays. I look forwards to Friday's arrival about as much as I look forward to having teeth pulled. I'd actually prefer to have my teeth pulled EVERY week than have to come into work on Fridays. Fridays are the closest thing to hell on earth for me. On Fridays I teach 2nd grade.

My first semester of teaching I only dealt with 5th and 6th graders. At the start of the new school year because we now have fewer 5th and 6th grade students I was given 2 back to back 2nd grade classes on Fridays. My first week with them wasn't a complete failure. I managed to teach them all at least one new English word, kept them entertained, alive but most importantly my sanity remained intact. Last week was the polar opposite.

My first class went well. The kids participated, they learned, they had fun but most importantly they behaved.

I was on a teacher's high after the first class. I managed to handle 30 2nd grade students who speak little to no English on my own. It was a feeling of triumph. I felt as if I were invincible and I could conquer ANYTHING. But then came my second class.

The kids filed into the classroom and began to take their seats. The two boys who I had already come to know as trouble makers, immediately began an MMA match over a seat. By the time I was able to navigate myself through all of the munchkins one of the boys had the other in a choke hold and refused to let go. After physically prying them apart I sat them both in the front of the class so I could keep an eye on them.

Because of the EXTREMELY low level of English that these students speak,  all of my lessons have many quick and simple activities that teach the students easy concepts. That particular day I was teaching the students animals names and the sounds that they make.

The first part of the class the students were supposed to look at photos of the different animals, hear the sounds that them make and imitate them. My first 2nd grade classes LOVED this, we barked, we mooed, we snorted and had a great time. My second 2nd grade class started off well, the first few animals all of the students participated in repeating the English name and making the animal sounds. But then came the horse. They horse was the beginning of my crash and burn.

I showed the class a photo of a horse, played the sound that horses make and then did a gallop for the students. The gallop was a bad idea. My gallop resembled the gallop that PSY does in the Gangnam Style dance and the students quickly picked up on this.

"WHOAAAAAA Kala Teacher GANGNAM STYLE!"

Me galloping apparently translated into me allowing one of the trouble makers to get out of his seat and gallop around the classroom.  It was cute, the first time. I was able to get him to return to his seat and I continued my lesson. The next animal was a dog. We chanted dog, we barked like dogs and we were getting ready to move on to the next animal but the other trouble maker decided that he wasn't finished with dog yet. He climbed on top of his chair and barked. and barked. and kept barking. High pitched barks, low pitched barks, long barks and short barks. This student mimicked them all. His classmates found him absolutely hilarious which just egged him to continue barking more and more. It took a while but I finally was able to coax him to take a seat. As soon as I turned my back to take my place back at the head of my classroom to resume my lesson I heard another bark. I turned around and the same student was sitting looking at at me trying to stifle his laughter. I gave him "the look" and continued my way back to the front of my classroom but before I could even take 2 steps, he barked again. This time when I turned around he was standing up and he continued to bark. The other students began to laugh. I told him to stop but instead he got louder. And the rest of the students began to laugh louder. I repeated myself and he got even louder. I was beginning to lose my patience. I finally sternly told  to sit down and he did. But rather sit in his chair, he instead got on all fours on the floor began to wag his "tail" and continue to bark like a dog at me.

This set the class off. It was as if there was a competition, who would be the student that makes Kala Teacher lose it. My previous galloping student got up and began to gallop around the classroom again. The other boys began to pretend that they we different types of animals as well. The usually sweet and innocent girls were either laughing hysterically at the "animals" or fighting to keep the "animals" away from them. It was a zoo and just kept escalating. Kids began to climb on desks, throw chairs, fight, do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that your ARE NOT supposed to do in a classroom.

I began to lose it and start hollering at the students which did NOTHING. I don't know what I expected, they don't even speak English why would they respond? I ended up dragging the two trouble making boys into the teacher's office and begging my Co-Teacher to call their homeroom teacher to get the monsters away from me. I had completely lost it.I couldn't handle it. I had finally met my match.

The homeroom teacher arrived quickly, I pointed her to the back office where the two boys were  sitting and focused on getting the rest of the class in order. A couple of minutes later she exited my office with the boys, told her class to line up and walked up to me with an apologetic look on her face and hugged me.

After her and her students left, I calmly walked to the bathroom, locked myself in the last stall and began to cry. My cry progressed into me balling out my eyes complete with me sobbing. I couldn't stop the tears. I couldn't control myself. For 30 minutes I sat there, wallowed in self pity, drown myself in tears and cursed the day those things were born.  By the time I could finally pull myself together enough to exit the bathroom my face was swollen from crying  and I had missed lunch.

I got back to my office to find that my Co-Teachers were genuinely concerned. One had brought me some pumpkin up from the lunch room and the other hovered around repeatedly asking me if I were okay. I deeply appreciated the gestures but I felt ridiculous. I let 8 year old children make me cry harder than I have ever cried in my life. No death, no ex-boyfriend, no injury, nothing had ever caused me to cry as hard as I had cried.

As I sit here finishing up my Monday I have developed a new appreciation for my 6th graders. Never again will I complain about their occasional smart mouths or laziness. Never again will I feel sorry for myself in having to deal with them going through puberty and developing attitudes. I now shall welcome all of that with open arms because at least they will never bark at me.


#CHEERS2FINDINGADOCTORWHOWILLTIEMYTUBESNOW


Special thanks to Toni, Dee, Sariska and my Sister for all being there for me at my most desperate time of need.


No comments:

Post a Comment